Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Language Lessons

    100_2182

Nouns:  This one comes from a mentor teacher named Cheryl Spencer.  She may have seen it somewhere else herself.  Teachers are such “thieves” anyways, right?  This lesson is pretty self explanatory, very easy to make,  and the children love it. 

100_2181

Syllables:  I made this work a couple of years ago based upon something I saw in a catalog.  You can easily do this with pictures or even objects.  Find a clipart of clapping hands and copy and paste several times, print, and you have a new lesson.  I say the word and then show the child how to clap it out for syllables.  This helps when children are stretching out sounds when writing, either by using the moveable alphabet or putting words on paper.

100_2183   100_2184

Contractions:  I made this work by laminating and cutting apart a contractions chart that I got from the teacher store.  I read the contractions lists with the child.  As an extension I made up a label matching exercise, having the child match the two words that make up the contraction to the actual contraction itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment